Gas safety

Gas safety in your home

Unless gas appliances are serviced regularly they may become dangerous. Here are our top tips for ensuring your home is gas safe:

Tip one: all tenants and leaseholders to have an annual safety check

If you are a tenant, CityWest Homes will service your gas appliances each year. It is essential that all tenants provide our contractors with access to carry out the safety check.

All leaseholders must arrange an annual gas safety check themselves. If you do not do so then you may be in breach of your lease. If you sublet your home, you are legally required to arrange a yearly check to meet your statutory obligations as a landlord under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your gas appliances, which include:

  • Gas boiler
  • Gas fire, cooker or hob
  • Central heating system, radiators or your hot water system, if they are connected to either a natural gas or LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) supply.

You can also find a Gas Safe registered engineer by contacting 0800 408 5500 or online at

Always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. All Gas Safe registered engineers carry ID, with their own unique license number, showing the type of work they are qualified to do. If you employ a contractor privately, ensure they are competent to work on the gas appliance in question.

Tip two: Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm

CityWest Homes does not install carbon monoxide detectors in all tenanted properties, only in certain homes where there is a concealed flue. However we recommend that residents purchase a detector from their local DIY retailer as a precaution, particularly in those homes which use a gas fire.

An alarm will alert you to the presence of the poisonous carbon monoxide gas, produced by unsafe gas appliances. We recommend that residents familiarise themselves with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

Print page