Unless gas appliances are serviced regularly they can become dangerous and can kill.
If your gas appliance has not been checked for 12 months it may be unsafe and you may also be in breach of your lease. You must have it inspected and serviced annually by a Gas Safe Register approved installer.
You must also be able to produce proof of the inspection and service to the Council at any time. Your housing provider will also carry out random sample checks to ensure this requirement is carried out.
If you sublet your home
If you sublet your home you are responsible for meeting the landlord's statutory obligations under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. This means you must:
- Ensure that all gas appliances, installation pipework and flues for which you are responsible, are in a safe condition.
- Arrange for your gas appliances and flues to be checked for safety every 12 months.
- Ensure the work is carried out using a Gas Safe Register registered fitter by asking to see a current registration certificate or ringing Gas Safe Register engineer on 0800 408 5500 or online at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
- Keep a record of all safety checks carried out for at least two years after the safety check.
- Ensure your sub-tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record within 28 days of the inspection.
- Ensure any new sub-tenant receives a copy of the current gas safety check record before they move in for the first time.
If you need further advice about gas safety issues ring the Health & Safety Executive Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300363.
Click here for information on fire safety.